Sunday, August 19, 2012

Teaching at New Dawn

Karen Prigodich asked how the last day of teaching went at New Dawn. I said, "It was three days past the end of their term." Karen replied, " Enough said." Despite the fact they were giving up some of their school holiday time, the lesson went fairly well. Good thing I was reaching art!



This student did a great job "channeling" Miro after the line family lesson. And then we all made more art for cards to sell later.





Erin has been such a great help! We make a good team!


After class I had an amazing talk with Casey. She is the young woman on the left below. This is her second year at New Dawn, and while this picture may not show it, she has an incredible spirit, despite having lost her father at age three and then having witnessed her mother shot and killed right in front of her during the unrest in Eldoret when she was eleven.

This isn't something she usually talks about, so I was incredibly humbled that she opened up to me. She shared with me some poems she has written to help her find healing in her grief and I was able to share with her one of mine. Please pray for Casey, who lives with her aunt, as she continues to deal with the pain in her life. She absolutely loves New Dawn and is so grateful to be there. One of her favorite verses is "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."


It was also great to have Nate, in the middle, who loves to be social, and helped pass out materials each day. Casey's best friend Devin is on the right. She is one of the student leaders and was always checking in to see if I needed anything. They are all amazing young people.






No comments:

Post a Comment