Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Kangundo Flower Class

This year, one of my roles was to teach an introduction to flower arranging to a small group of mamas in Kangundo and then they could teach others.  Our goal was to provide the mamas with enough knowledge to get them started in creating a floral business that could serve as a side enterprise for the new mortuary.  I was told there were a few more mamas interested and could I teach up to 10?  Of course!

When I arrived, my little band of flower mamas had grown to almost 30.  Of course. Oh boy. 

The first day we went over vocabulary, materials, proper flower care and preparation to make arrangements.  I prepared a notebook of examples and pictures of how to's.  I began by creating a large bouquet and then had them take turns helping with the more traditional Kenyan forms of placing flowers (mostly roses) around funeral heart and cross forms.  As the day progressed, they were soon realizing they could offer flowers for other events such as weddings, teas, and community gatherings.  I included demos of small bridal bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres.  As the day progressed, they were getting more and more excited about the possibilities.






This mama was especially proud of her boutonniere!

The other major idea I wanted to get across was that they could use their own local plants and flowers (and there are a lot) found all over their yards.  They had never considered this before.  We did a little "field" trip around Mama's yard and gleaned some interesting foliage and vines that I used in additional demos.  I showed them how to fashion a wreath from the vines and emphasized that whatever they could utilize from their yards would reduce their overhead costs when they began their business.  For homework, I asked them to bring in collections of greens and flowers from their yards for the next day's class.  

The next day they indeed brought some beautiful greens and field flowers and even "weeds" that we used in creating a large spray.  The pink and yellow spray below was made entirely from greens from their yards and a mixture of field flowers and purchased flowers.  They really became excited to see how this spray turned out with materials that were free!  They gained a new appreciation for the very plants they have everywhere.  With the leftover snippets of flowers and greens I showed them how to make a wreath of flowers using the vine wreaths we had made the day before.  
For our final activity I had them get into teams and make bouquets using all the remaining flowers.  They had a great time helping each other and showing off their bouquets.  



The large spray I gave to Mama to put in her living area for all to see.  


The wreath, heart, and cross forms I laid at the graves of Isaac (Mama's husband and step father to Miriam and her siblings), Catherine, and Fred (Miriam's siblings).  All three had passed away within the last two years (Isaac most recently).  It is his family farm that we visit each year and his land that was donated to build the medical clinic and the mamas community center that houses their growing sewing business.  


Christina was my "star" pupil and will give ongoing leadership to the mamas as they implement this economic venture that will help them provide much needed income for their families.  I want to thank my donors this year that contributed to Kizimani so we could provide the mamas with their initial supplies and materials.  Asante Sana!



No comments:

Post a Comment